Monday, June 27, 2011

SO many adventures! So little time to blog them all! (part 1)

Oof! So many things to catch up on! Which is something that I think becomes more difficult when the days kind of lose meaning, and I've lost track of time...

We caught up with our lovely friend, Miranda, in Phoenix after going to a delicious South Indian lunch with Aparna's uncle and little cousin. It was so good to see Miranda again...like soul sisters reuniting. Even though the car's thermostat read up to 112 F that day, we braved the heat and, with the help of local second-hand shop owner, randomly found the way to an old-timey ice cream joint called Mary...something... Anyway, it was the first ice cream place that I've ever seen have a sit-down menu full of sundaes and specials. All of us got double scoop waffle bowls of yumminess... Very filling! And the place itself was pretty cute. It looked like it had the same decor as when it opened in the 1950s, so we had fun with that.

My uncle John took everyone (the two of us and my cousins) out to dinner that night, so I filled up on yummy ceviche on top of my mountain of ice cream. It was kind of an epic dinner in that I heard a lot of family stories I hadn't gotten to hear before, but it was really nice to get the chance to visit with them all.

We left for Chandler to go to Aparna's uncle's house (which was maybe 45 mins away...? Everything is so far apart there!) where Chachi was waiting to fill us up again with a whole Indian dinner. It was the most food I've eaten in a day...maybe ever...but it was so good, and I literally couldn't refuse an extra spoonful because it was basically already in my bowl. :)  Gosh though, we had some of the most delicious Indian food from Chachi's hands, and she was so sweet about answering all my foodie questions, so I definitely have some cooking homework to do when I get back home! Oh, and they had the coolest garden. Seriously they had like ten pomegranate trees, a bunch of citrus and tons of vegetables! So cool.

We hit the road out of Phoenix on Thursday morning and followed a good chunk of Route 66 to the Petrified Forest. We did have to take a pretty major detour because the big fire that was (is?) raging in Arizona jumped the highway we were set to go on just before we hit the junction. So we took a nice detour through Snowflake, AZ which is I think the most beautiful country I've seen so far...the whole Apache/Hopi reservation country in general, including up to what is National Park land that we were on. There's just something about the combination bleached white grasses with the big blue sky and the green scrub. It took my breath away, my thoughts, my emotions...everything.

So by the time we go to the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert, we assumed it would take maybe an hour or less to see it all and be back on the road. Wrong!

(K. More to come!) Lovelovelove.

-Alia

No comments:

Post a Comment