Friday, June 10, 2011

A repurposed Road Trip...my mission!

I realize I kind of left of the other part of the week's roller coaster. Sorry, folks!

Allow me to contextualize for a sec. All term, I have been working (yes for pay) on the Political Identities Project with the ASOSU Student Advocate, Christian Matheis (whom I will forever be a better person for knowing). The premise of the project is getting recorded statements of student's political identities, the development of such, what significant events in their lives have shaped their personalities and the way they see the world, etc. etc. It's been really cool to hear all these narratives and find out about other peoples' passions and drives, their central influences.

The catch was that I only had one term to try to produce 10-15 segments and turn them into podcasts on the University iTunes and YouTube channels. Unfortunately, time has not worked in my favor, and I have some stuff I would love a bit more time to wrap up.

So I presented the idea to Christian that I could incorporate the project into the trip and interview people in cities all over along the way. I think it would be an amazing opportunity to engage in conversation, help to create a national dialogue about issues we all face as a collective people, and get to know how people tick in other regions. Anyway, so far Christian seems to like the idea, and we've involved Kryn Freehling-Burton (my beloved first ever women's studies professor) as someone to take over the role of liason to the U (as Christian is off to bigger and better things soon)...and something tells me this just MIGHT work out.

At least I really hope that it does. When Aparna and I initiated this whole road trip idea, I was really excited about modeling it after Roadtrip Nation where students road trip around the country to interview people in fields/jobs they find interesting and may potentially want to pursue. I like that idea so much, and getting to produce the P.I.P. along the way would be really fulfilling in that I would have an excuse to talk to people in completely different geographical and social locations from myself.

So now, I'm waiting to hear about funding. Someone's gotta pay the bills, ya know? So I'll let y'all know when/what I find out about that. Feel free to help me hope on it in the meantime!

lovelovelove!
  -Alia

No comments:

Post a Comment