Friday, June 17, 2011

Now it gets serious! :D

Wow! The last couple days have really flown by. I feel like I haven't been able to process much or reflect on the the trip so far. I've totally just been enjoying the ride and taking it all in. In large part, I still can't believe this is even happening, and I get to do this amazing trip with an amazing friend! But I best get some of it down so I can keep the sights and smells all fresh for years to come.  :)

Reno has been very hospitable this last day+, and it was really good to see my good friend Rob again after so long. He took me downtown to the Nugget for an Awful Awful burger (a true Reno treat, and something I admit to having been craving for a while now) and then we went on a nice night walk in the arboretum. I didn't get to see many trees, but the company and catching up was completely satisfying!

This morning I was able to snag some internet...I'm still waiting to see if the extension on my Political Identities Project is going to pan out...and then Rob and I went for sandwiches. We met up with a couple of his friends that I had met last year when I came down, so that was nice to visit with them as we waltzed around (a big box store I don't care to mention right now).

I was able to convince Rob that since tomorrow we have to start driving so early tomorrow (we hit the road at 5:30 am), he needed to mix us some driving music, which he kindly obliged. I can't wait to pop that in ... in just a few hours now, and head on down the road. I did catch some of the set as he was spinning/recording, and I'm really happy that I get to keep that cd as a souvenir FOREVER! Wahoo!

I met back up with Aparna at the Salgo's (also Reno-ans) and we had a quick adventure to Arby's for jamoca shakes (super yummy!) and took food back to the Salgo's back patio for a big family dinner. It's been very nice to pause here and rest up, get reorganized a bit, and get pumped for a loooooong day of driving tomorrow.

I do also have to give a fair mention to our experience in the redwoods yesterday, too, while I'm on here. It was truly amazing to be among the giants....basically the largest living organisms on earth. Aparna and I took a really nice walk, heard some creaking trees, admired the way the wind in the tree tops sounds like a nearby river flowing, and took some nice pictures we hope to have up in a little while. We even caught the beginning of a group guided "tour" of the grove and learned all about the redwoods, and how they reproduce by growing offshoots. My favorite facts were about the way the redwood bark heals old burn scars by growing over the wounds and shielding the wood from further burns.

Then as we walked back to the car, I noticed a large group of trees all together (so it was actually all one tree with many stems) and wanted to go check it out. It truly felt like a very holy and healing place. There was evidence of a large amount of damage from long ago, and they way the bark flowed in and around the inner space of the many stems was so beautiful, I wanted to climb inside. I resisted, but I feel like if I ever do need a place of really great healing, I can go back to that...tree temple... I think that's the best way to describe it.


Ok. Sleep Time! G'night y'all!
LoveLoveLove,

Alia

No comments:

Post a Comment